[ESS] C-c C-c on a short function

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 23 11:40:58 CEST 2008

{ Finally coming back to this after 4 weeks : }

    >> Now these examples suggest to me to use 4') if(not at end
    >> of line) jump-forward another SEXP
    >>
    >> This may be a real improvement to the current behavior,
    >> but I am sure there will still be cases where it won't
    >> work perfectly.

    StEgl> If it is a real improvement, then go for it.

I think it is.
I have added it to the development version of ESS
(svn revision 3927).

We plan to release ESS 5.3.8 pretty soon now,
but would be glad if some of you could test the current
pre-release version of that.

You could try to do that by

   wget -nd -nH -r -l 1 --no-check-certificate https://svn.R-project.org/ESS/trunk/lisp -P ess-pre538-lisp

   (one long line using wget)

and adding this to your ~/.emacs :
  (set load-path  "......../ess-pre538-lisp" load-path)
       		   ^^^^^^^^^
		   put correct path here

    StEgl> However, as you have pointed out, doing this
    StEgl> correctly in ESS is hard, and I'd much rather
    StEgl> encourage users to write functions in a style that
    StEgl> already ESS copes with.

I slightly disagree with the last part:  ESS should work ok for
correct S syntax, and

 ab <- function(x,y) call.me(x,y, opt1 = TRUE, main = "bla bla")

is nice and correct S syntax.

Martin