[ESS] ... when editing R documents, 'delete' key behaves as 'backspace'

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Fri Dec 5 17:26:54 CET 2008

Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> Eh, what exactly do you mean? On all the mac keyboards I have been using
> (which are mostly laptop keyboards, but includes the newer wired "flat"
> keyboard), backspace is backspace exactly as it is on the Sun keyboard I
> am using right now. There is a marker on the backspace key saying
> "delete", but that just indicates that pressing "Fn + Backspace" gets a
> delete behaviour.
>
> Here I tactically assume that backspace standard behaviour is to delete
> backwards and delete is to delete forwards.
>
> Kasper

Hi Kasper:

Do you read Mac Life magazine?  I just got my copy yesterday and there
was a short section on the history of the Delete key on Mac keyboards.
It describes how the Delete key performs backward delete and how some
keyboards have a Forward Delete key.  Unfortunately, this article does
not appear to be online anywhere that I could find.  Happy Holidays!

--
Rodney Sparapani      Center for Patient Care & Outcomes Research (PCOR)
Sr. Biostatistician              http://www.mcw.edu/pcor