[ESS] README organization

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 3 19:59:31 CET 2008

Another part of the ess documentation that you may wish to consider is
the presentation order and emphasis of systems supported by ESS.  I
noticed recently when watching an installation of ESS that there are
still .el files compiled and installed for S+3, S+4, ... and that much
of the documentation on ESS processes is written in terms of an S+3
process. Do you know if anyone has a working S-PLUS, version 3 or S
version 4?  I would be shocked if one existed.  I know the computer,
franz.stat.wisc.edu, that housed the CVS archive for S version 4, was
retired many years ago.

The people who are involved in the development of ESS know the history
of the S language and understand that R was developed as an open
source version of the S language. However most new users of R have not
heard of S-PLUS and, if they did hear of it, would probably be
perplexed as to why they would want to pay a considerable sum of money
to obtain an inferior implementation of R.

My guess is that the overwhelming usage of ESS is for R, Sweave, etc.,
second most popular usage is for SAS, third for Stata.

I know there was a recent release of S+ (apparently it has changed its
name - the people at Insightful used to insist that it be called
S-PLUS and not S+ but now Tibco calls it S+)  so there may still be
some users but I think that any S+ user base is vestigial.  I would
not be surprised if Tibco folded S+ into the Spotfire product and
ceased to sell it as a separate product.

Why not acknowledge that "the S language" today means R?  John
Chambers, the creator of the S language, has.  See the title of his
latest book.