[ESS] ... when editing R documents, 'delete' key behaves as 'backspace'

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 00:26:32 CET 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:43:54 +0200,
Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

AP> Could you please clarify which behaviour you are suggesting to drop?
AP> That is, which is "this behaviour"?

> the one mentioned in the 'Subject' and below.

> The proposal is to make <Delete> in ess-mode behave as it does
> otherwise in emacs.  NOTA BENE: <Delete> != <Backspace>

With the latest 5.3.10 version, I see inconsistent behaviour of the
<delete> key.  In ESS mode, this key calls
`backward-delete-char-untabify', but in inferior ESS mode it calls
`delete-char' (i.e. forward deletion).  It used to do the latter in both
cases in my system (GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-29 on elegiac, modified by Debian).  I can't
see the relevant change in the docs.  What has happened on this front?
Thanks.

--
Seb