[ESS] ESS "highlighting" turned off .. {Re: [R] Tidying up code ...}

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Aug 29 17:32:16 CEST 2008

Martin Maechler wrote:

>     PD> Martin Maechler wrote:
>     >> I strongly agree with your last paragraph,
>     >> and I have always thought that we should recommend using
>     >> R-aware editors rather than  dump() nowadays ...
>     >> but then I thought that I've been biased at all times, being a
>     >> co-developer of ESS, authoring its M-x ess-fix-miscellaneous
>     >> (and more), and also the author of a (non public) Emacs lisp
>     >> file called 'R-stylepolice.el' as early as in 1999.....
>

>     PD> BTW: Has there been any progress on turning the highlighting _off_ in
>     PD> iESS and transcript mode? The highlighted "for" and "in" make me crazy...
>
> we are really getting off-topic...
> and so I am -- as an exception -- cross-posting to ESS-help
> but
>     - I don't remember any feature-request of that kind,
>       but that may well just expose my fading long-time memory

[R-help snipped]

I think you said "Oh yes, that is really embarrassing" last time I
mentioned it....

>     - you can always use   M-x font-lock-mode
>       which toggles font-locking ("highlighting").

I should probably hook that in...

>     - What I would want is font-locking in  iess- and transcript-mode,
>       just not to highlight 'for' and 'in' (and a few more), but
>       I'd like to keep the string and other font-locking.
>       IIRC, that is simple in principle, but needs a bit of
>       tedious work in practice.

I'd avoid that and just font-lock the command line . There's really no
consistent way of telling how to fontify the output of an arbitrary line
of R . (Or not fontify it at all, but switching the colour of the
command line would be nice --- boldface is a bit useless if you've
already switched the font to courier 18 bold)