[ESS] Using ssh from within emacs 22 to connect to another computer and run ess-remote

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 27 19:31:35 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>>
>> I may be completely outdated, but this is what I do.
>>
>> Start a shell inside Emacs (M-x shell ). Switch to shell process and ssh
>> to the appropriate server. Start R. Now execute ess-remote (M-x ess-remote).
>> This tells Emacs/ESS that the shell process is really just an R process. You
>> now have R running.
>>
>> Only caveat was that last time I used it (and that is some time ago),
>> sometimes C-c C-c would stop the ssh connection instead of just stopping R.
>>
>> Kasper
>>

> Two minor points.  Kasper's description works for me with XEmacs.
>
> 1. I could not get C-c C-c to stop the ssh connection
>
> 2. On XEmacs, you can also create a ssh connection with M-x ssh
> and then do a M-x ess-remote

> Doesn't that work on Emacs?  I'm glad I don't use it :o)

That's what amazes me.  There are interactive functions for telnet and
rsh, both of which are ancient and potentially insecure, and no
interactive function for ssh in the version of emacs 22 that I have.
Something like tramp is amazingly flexible and supported by FSF and it
uses ssh transport by default but there is no ssh shell as far as I
can see.