[ESS] Using ssh from within emacs 22 to connect to another computer and run ess-remote

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 27 19:09:34 CEST 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> I may be completely outdated, but this is what I do.
>
> Start a shell inside Emacs (M-x shell ). Switch to shell process and ssh to
> the appropriate server. Start R. Now execute ess-remote (M-x ess-remote).
> This tells Emacs/ESS that the shell process is really just an R process. You
> now have R running.

Pretty much the same for me, too. But I issue
 	cd mypath
         stty -echo
         export PAGER=/bin/cat

at the remote host prompt before 'R'.

Find-file handles remote files without (IIRC) any customization.

So
 	C-x C-f /memyself at myhost.mydomain:mypath RET
or
 	C-x C-f /ssh:memyself at myhost.mydomain:mypath RET

will pop me into a file/dired buffer after prompting for a password, if
needed.

Nothing special in my .emacs file.

HTH,

Chuck

> Only caveat was that last time I used it (and that is some time ago),
> sometimes C-c C-c would stop the ssh connection instead of just stopping R.

Yes. That IS annoying! :-(