[ESS] Double prompt using ess-remote through ssh on Windows

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Tue Apr 1 01:18:52 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Charles C. Berry brought this issue to my attention. Using

1. my GNU Emacs 22.2-modified-1 for Windows distribution (but
presumably earlier versions also);
2. the ssh.el package (ftp://ftp.splode.com/pub/users/friedman/emacs-lisp/ssh.el
);
3. the Windows SSH client plink.exe (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
)

and following the procedure outlined in Section 3.3 of the ESS manual
to use processes on remote computers, that is

M-x ssh RET <hostname> RET <password> RET
M-x ess-remote RET r RET

(still following this overly long sentence?) one ends up with two
prompts in the R process buffer.

Any idea how to fix this?

Cheers,

Vincent

P.S. For the record, in order to use M-x ssh I put plink.exe somewhere
in my path and

(require 'ssh)
(setq ssh-program "plink")

in my .emacs file.

P.P.S. The other ssh clients putty.exe and ssh2.exe from SSH
Communications Security do not work with ssh.el.

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat
   Université Laval, Québec