[ESS] How to submit SAS from win XEmacs-ESS on remote UNIX SAS ?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Sep 25 16:37:15 CEST 2007

Hi Alexandre,

I have never been able to get this to work on Windows (it works no
problem on MacOS and I am sure *nix). What I ended up doing is
installing PuTTY and Xming on my Windows box, setting PuTTY up to do X11
forwarding and then running Emacs on the remote box.

You end up getting a reasonable looking Emacs on the Windows box that
you can interact with just as if it were running locally, and obviously
you can then submit commands to SAS. Unfortunately this only works if
you can a.) install Emacs (or Xemacs, I suppose) on the remote box, and
b.) that X11 forwarding is enabled on the remote box as well.

More details can be found here:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jmacdon/setting_up_to_do_remote_emacs.htm