[ESS] Does R fix() or edit() work for you these days?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:51:44 CEST 2007

On Fedora 7 with emacs -22.1-1.fc7 and ESS -5.3.5, I am unable to use
R commands edit() and fix()  on data frames.  Here is the error:

 > fix(myimpdat)
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

	--socket-name
	--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
	--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
	problem with running editor emacsclient
> edit(myimpdat)
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:

	--socket-name
	--server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
	--alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
Error in edit(name, file, title, editor) :
	problem with running editor emacsclient

If I follow these instructions to run M-x server-start, then the
content of the data editor is shown in an Emacs buffer.

I start Emacs - ESS with these options. Are they the cause of my trouble?

;;; Set up emacs-ess for Emacs.
;;;
;;; This file is automatically loaded by emacs's site-start.el
;;; when you start a new emacs session.

(require 'pc-select)
(pc-selection-mode)

(require 'ess-site)
(setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)
(setq inferior-ess-same-window nil)
(setq ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil)

;;create a new frame for each help instance

(setq ess-help-own-frame t)
;;If you want all help
;; buffers to go into one frame do:

(setq ess-help-own-frame 'one)