[ESS] XEmacs or GNU Emacs

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Wed Sep 5 16:12:19 CEST 2007

David Scott wrote:

> Which is a question I have recently been considering.
>
> I have used XEmacs for a few years. My usage is for R with ESS, TeX with
> AUCTeX, sweave, .Rd files for my R package, a bit of mySQL and html.
>
> Does either XEmacs or GNU Emacs have an edge these days? I have got the
> impression the Emacs has advanced more than XEmacs recently.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> David Scott

This is a difficult question to answer.  ESS supports both and they are
roughly equivalent.  My personal opinion is that XEmacs is better on
Unix and Linux due to the wide variety of packages that are available as
a single download (sumo, but ESS is not one of them).  However, Emacs
has certainly made some recent
improvements and I'd say it is already better on Mac OS X and Windows.
And, of course, why stop there.  There is also TeXmacs which is derived
from Emacs and SXEmacs from XEmacs.

Rodney