[ESS] ESS installation with cygwin needs unsetting DISPLAY

Nitin Jain nj7w at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 17:05:05 CEST 2007

Dear all,

I am facing a problem in ESS installation when using with cygwin. Here are the steps that I followed:

- unzipped .tgz ess file
- added the ess path in init.el
(load "/cygdrive/C/cygwin/usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/ess-site")
- Modiffied  /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/essd-r-args.el file to comment the tooltip lines:
(eval-when-compile
    (require 'tooltip)); for tooltip-show

When I start cygwin and type,
xemacs a.R -f R &
it asks me for the starting R directory to which I press enter and then I get the message "Process R is not running"

However, when I open another xterm and do: "unset DISPLAY", the above command works fine (though several times, it hangs and then i have to restart cygwin).

The difference in the two xemacs sessions is that 1st one (with default DISPLAY set to 127.0.0.1:0.0), xemacs opens with grey background (much like default unix xemacs) whereas after unsetting DISPLAY, I get xemacs with white background (much like native xemacs on windows).

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Best,
Nitin

Nitin Jain