[ESS] typing umlaut-a and writing \"a ??

hoffmann christian.hoffmann at wsl.ch
Tue Oct 16 11:31:51 CEST 2007

I apologize for misusing this list for an XEmacs question.

In German text I want to insert at point the string '\"a' for a key
press on button 'ä' (umlaut-a). Is there an elisp way to achieve this? I
conulted the manuals, but I am too green to figure out.

Of course I can write 'ä' and globally replace it by '\"a' using meta-%,
but that is not attractive.
I am using  \usepackage{ngerman} but the above method would work withot it.

Any clues?

Thank you
Christian

--