[ESS] Ess and gtk enabled Emacs

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue May 29 20:52:03 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 13:35 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> In the Fedora Core 7 development process, they are putting in a new
> Emacs that uses the gtk widgets & file chooser.  Right now, I'm
> running Emacs-22.0.95, and I'm told there is a newer version coming
> "very soon" (perhaps already in use in some systems).
>
> This presents a little problem when choosing directories in ESS. When
> R starts, it asks to choose a starting directory, and it will not
> accept RETURN or a click on the "OPEN" button to confirm the current
> directory.  Instead, it seems to insist I navigate in the GUI back to
> my HOME and then choose a directory in there, and then click OPEN.
>
> I wonder if you have seen this too, and if it bugs you like it bugs me.

I am running emacs 23 from CVS now, but have had the following in
my .emacs file for a number of years when running 21.x:

  (setq ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil)

This is after the '(load ".../ess-site")' line.

That disables the prompt for the starting dir.

Try that and hopefully that should take care of it.  If not, I am unsure
what else may be going on as I had been running 22 for a while last year
(to take advantage of initial xft support, which has improved in 23) but
was not getting the prompt then.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz