[ESS] default pdf viewer for `ess-swv-PDF'

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 2 19:02:57 CEST 2007

    Patrick> Hi, what is the correct way to set a default PDF
    Patrick> viewer for the function `ess-swv-PDF' in current
    Patrick> ESS?

    Patrick> I have tried setting the evironment variable
    Patrick> `R_PDFVIEWER' as described in R's help for
    Patrick> `options'. But still only `evince' is used.

    Patrick> Then I copied the code directly from `ess-swv.el'
    Patrick> to ~/.emacs and modified it to use xpdf:

    Patrick> Is there a suggested/better way of doing this?

unfortunately not yet.
I know that you and others have wished for this for a while,
and I had intended to provide it for 5.3.4, but did not get to
that.

Let's aim to have it for 5.3.5 ....
I'm trying to set up something which uses new variables
ess-pref-pdfviewer and ess-pref-psviewer.

For pdf it would try to use
	1) ess-pref-pdfviewer  -- if defined (is not by default)

	2) getOption("pdfviewer") - if that's a valid file

	3) revert to the current list of proposed defaults.

Can I send you updated
ess-cust.el and ess-swv.el  and you try ?

Regards,
Martin