[ESS] R: gnuclient or emacsclient? (was - R: Xemacs icons arenot shown on win2000)

Frede Aakmann Tøgersen FredeA.Togersen at agrsci.dk
Tue Mar 27 13:20:50 CEST 2007

Personally I use EmacsW32 (http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html) which comes with emacsclient. It also comes with a nice installer.

Med venlig hilsen
Frede Aakmann Tøgersen

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: ess-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch [mailto:ess-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] På vegne af Kiermeier, Andreas (PIRSA - SARDI)
Sendt: 27. marts 2007 03:01
Til: Alun Pope
Cc: 8rino-Luca Pantani; ESS
Emne: Re: [ESS] R: gnuclient or emacsclient? (was - R: Xemacs icons arenot shown on win2000)

Alun,

I personally have downloaded gnuserv.zip some long time ago and unpacked everything into the bin folder of the emacs installation. Consequently, the executables in that folder are:

emacs.exe
gnuclient.exe
gnuclientw.exe
gnudoit.exe
gnuserv.exe
runemacs.exe
(+ some others that do other things, e.g. ctags.exe etc)

I associate everything with gnuclientw.exe - this will start emacs if not running yet, and use an existing instance if it is - I have the following in my _emacs file.

;;; Start Gnuserv
(require 'gnuserv)
(gnuserv-start)
(setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))

Just saw on Emacs Wiki
(http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/EmacsClient) that the latest version of emacsclient works on Windows and the command line should be

emacsclient -n

and server-start) instead of (gnuserv-start).

I don't have any experience with this at the moment, but very well might migrate soon as gnuserv is pretty old and I don't think it maintained (it just happens to work).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andreas