[ESS] R: R: Xemacs icons are not shown on win2000

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Mar 26 14:48:07 CEST 2007

Andreas,

Thanks. I had tried this but the icon being in the .exe and the clinking
on "Advanced" had eluded me.

I am now able to get the icons I want to show up for the various file
types, which is excellent.

Since you have been so helpful, maybe you can explain something else to
me.

Suppose I have a file which I want to open with XEmacs. To be explicit,
suppose I have a Makefile. Being a text file, I want to edit it using
XEmacs. I double-click on it and am asked to choose a program to open the
file. Now first of all, XEmacs is not on the long list of programs which I
could use. Then if I try and browse for the program, I go to xemacs.exe
click on it and the box saying open. But xemacs.exe doesn't get associated
with my Makefile. It is like xemacs.exe is a non-program.

Any suggestions?

David Scott

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Kiermeier, Andreas (PIRSA - SARDI) wrote:

> David,
>
> I'm not running Xemacs, but GNU or Ntemacs on Windows XP, but don't
> think this matters. You've probably done some of the following steps
> already, but I include them for completeness.
>
> * In Windows Explorer, click on the Tools menu, and "Folder Options...".
> * Click the "File Types" tab
> * If the "TEX" extension exists, then click once on it (see below if it
> doesn't).
> * In the options below the big list, click on "Advanced"
> * In the dialog box that opens, click on the "Change Icon" button.
> * In the dialog that pops up, click on "Browse".
> * The icon should be embedded in the Xemacs.exe executable file, so
> navigate to the folder where your Xemacs installation is (probably
> within the bin folder).
>
> If the TEX extension does not exist:
> * Click on the "New" button.
> * Enter TEX as the extension (leave the advanced options)
> * Now follow the steps above, but also perform the following steps
> * While in the "Edit File Type" dialog press the "New..." button
> * For Action type in "Open" (no quotes) and for the Application to use
> click on the "Browse" button and again find the Xemacs executable you
> want to use to open the file (Note, in Ntemacs/GNU Emacs on Windows I
> use "gnuclientw.exe" rather than "emacs.exe" or "runemacs.exe" so I can
> use gnuserver and have additional file opened in an existing emacs
> session)
>
> Hope this help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andreas
> _____________________________
> Dr Andreas Kiermeier
> Senior Statistician
> SARDI FOOD INNOVATION & SAFETY
>
> 33 Flemington Street, Glenside, SA, 5065
> Ph:	+61 8 8207 7884
> Fax:	+61 8 8207 7854
> Mob:	0423 028 565
>
> Email: Kiermeier.Andreas at saugov.sa.gov.au
> Web:   http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/
> _____________________________
> If you would like to correspond with me in a secure way, using public
> key encryption, please contact me directly for details of my GPG public
> key or visit the SARDI website, where you can download my public key
> from my personal staff page.
>
> The information in this e-mail and attachments (if any) may be
> confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken is
> prohibited. SARDI, The South Australian Research and Development
> Institute, is the research division of Primary Industries and Resources
> (SA)

>>> Best,