[ESS] [R] CPU usage on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Mar 19 12:09:29 CET 2007

On 3/19/2007 6:21 AM, A.J. Rossini wrote:
> Typical unhelpful comment from Duncan, which has nothing to do with
> the topic except to demonstrate yet again his bigotries.
>
> Anyway, there is nothing related to DDE with R -- there is with older
> versions of S-PLUS.
>
> It's strictly an issue with the mis-design of R under Windows, though
> there are reasonable justifications for that mis-design, having to
> deal with a mis-designed OS in the first place.

If you can suggest specific changes (or submit patches) I'll take a
look, despite my bigotry.  However, it really has been my experience
that Emacs has problems with R that arise nowhere else.  Since I don't
use Emacs, debugging these is a huge amount more work for me than I
consider to be worthwhile.

> All Emacs is doing is waiting for text to be generated by the process
> it's controlling (in this case, the R subprocess).  For all versions
> of R, Emacs/ESS is simply just a text processor; there is nothing
> fancy going on.
>
> But this is apparently only an issue for ESS and ESS-core to solve, as
> part of R-core supporting Microsoft has decided that it's not their
> bug, it's a feature.

I'm not claiming it's a feature, just that it's not a bug that I am
going to try to track down.  So yes, it is an issue for ESS and ESS-core
to solve, if they want to support Windows.  My advice would be not to
try to do this.  As far as I know, ESS and Emacs are a great solution on
Unix-based systems, but Windows is not Unix.

> Having said that, I'm not sure when it'll be looked into (resourcing
> issue, not a desire issue).   But we should be looking into it, as
> I've seen the behavour before.

Looks like the same issue on your side, presumably due to your
anti-Windows bigotry.

Duncan Murdoch