[ESS] Avoid ssh from catching C-c C-c with ess-remote?

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Mar 9 23:12:17 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 14:01 -0800, Seth Falcon wrote:
> Ross Boylan <ross at biostat.ucsf.edu> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 13:21 -0800, Seth Falcon wrote:
> >> Recently, I have been using M-x ssh to get a remote terminal, starting
> >> R, and then using M-x ess-remote to interact with this remote R using
> >> local ESS.
> >>
> >> However, if I enter C-c C-c to interrupt R, the ssh process receives
> >> the signal and exits (killing both R and the ssh session in the
> >> process).
> >>
> >> I've now pulled the plug on myself twice and need to find a
> >> workaround.  Any suggestions?  The same thing happens if I start a
> >> shell using M-x shell and then ssh on the command line.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> + seth
> >>
> > Maybe open a second ssh session, find the PID of the R process, and send
> > it a signal (SIGINT?)?
>
> Well, the problem is that my fingers are trained to hit C-c C-c when I
> get into a syntax error continuation loop in R or when I enter a
> computation that I realize is wrong and going to take awhile.
>
> So I need to find a way to make C-c C-c do what I want :-)
>
> For now, I realized that I can remap C-c C-c to something harmless and
> at least prevent silly mistakes.
>
> > ssh says that ~B sends a break if the protocols support it; I'm not sure
> > if that's what you want, but it might be worth trying.
>
> What is '~B'?
man ssh on my system says that by default ~ is the ssh escape character,
and ~B is a break.  Your configuration may be different.

--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062