[ESS] max lisp eval depth & ESS

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 12:07:47 CEST 2007

Dear Ben,

 > I recently started getting the error: Lisp nesting exceeds 'max lisp
 > eval depth' when trying to initialize R via ESS. It was working fine
 > and I didn't make any changes before it stopped working.
 >
 > Following other threads from the Xemacs newsgroup, I changed my eval depth
 > setting to: 2500 (was
 > at 1000), but that has not solved the problem.
 >
 > I am using:
 >
 > R - 2.4.1
 > XEmacs - 21.4 (patch 19)
 > ESS - 5.3.4
 >
 > all on a PC.
 >
 > I'm fairly new to XEmacs and don't have a ton of behind the scenes
 > programming experience...

If you are fairly new to XEmacs, may I suggest that, if you can, you
try to use the Windows version of Emacs that comes with ESS:

 http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/

XEmacs used to have a lot better graphical support than Emacs, but
with the release of Emacs 22, I think that difference has disappeared.
Further, thanks to people like Vincent Goulet, the availability of
binaries like the above, should make using Emacs more attractive
again.  I'd strongly push for people to switch back to Emacs!

Stephen