[ESS] ESS Git repository open on http://repo.or.cz/

Patrick Drechsler patrick at pdrechsler.de
Sun Jun 24 13:02:08 CEST 2007

AJ Rossini <blindglobe at gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday 23 June 2007, Patrick Drechsler wrote:
>> "A.J. Rossini" <blindglobe at gmail.com> writes:
>> > For those of you who might've gone git-crazy for version control
>> > (I know I have,or.cz/w/ess.git
>>
>> Could you be so kind to share the advantages of git compared to svn
>> or cvs (in your opinion)?
>
> non-centralization.  No one needed to manage servers.  simple,
> cheap, and functional branching.  VERY simple, cheap, and
> functional.
>
> This latter leads to a great deal more experimentation, since the
> infrastructure allows it with very low pain (branching is highly
> painful in CVS, and annoying within SVN, by comparison).
>
> "Content is all that matters" means that file names are an illusion,
> sort of like lunch time.  Cut-and-paste content can be tracked
> across renames.

Thanks for this nice summary Tony. I'll definitely have a closer look
at git.

[...]

>> Can git deal with binary diffs?
>
> I've never cared about this, so for me, it isn't clear, though
> space-wise, it's got a performance advantage.  There were some
> favorable points made towards this recently in the mailing lists.

I have just read some of the threads and it at least seems like
binaries are conceptually integrated into git. I'll look into this.

Thanks again for your pointers,

Patrick
--
"If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?"