[ESS] How to improve ESS syntax high-lighting and shortcuts

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 21 14:09:34 CEST 2007

    RRJ> Em Quarta 20 Junho 2007 20:50, Kiermeier, Andreas
    RRJ> (PIRSA - SARDI) escreveu:
    >> Hi Ronaldo,
    >>
    >> For M-; to work you need to have a region selected,
    >> e.g. the line which you want commented. Otherwise it will
    >> put the comment *after* the existing code (just as you
    >> noticed).
    >>

    RRJ> Andreas,
    RRJ> thanks, but I have a region selected but dont work.

    RRJ> I have this test code:

    RRJ> test <- function(x)
    RRJ> {
    RRJ>   print("Hello word")
    RRJ> }

    RRJ> I select all code and use M-; but the result is:

    RRJ> test <- function(x)
    RRJ> {
    RRJ>   print("Hello word")

    RRJ> Any idea of the problem

Hmm, yes, switch to decent version of Emacs.
I would say one necessary requirement being that   M-;
works sensibly.
I use this in many places, not just R, but also e.g.,
LaTeX and C,   and I wouldn't want to use an Emacs lacking that.

Sorry, since I'm sure you didn't want to get this answer :-)
Martin