[ESS] Emacs 22 -- much less fontification ..

Patrick Drechsler patrick at pdrechsler.de
Fri Jun 15 12:39:19 CEST 2007

Kasper Daniel Hansen <khansen at stat.berkeley.edu> writes:

> On Jun 14, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
[...]
>> Notably in *R* , strings are no longer fontfied, and "## ..."
>> (comments) are fontified when entering but no longer afterwards ---
>> where all input is bold-faced but not color-fontified anymore.  I
>> assume this is a new feature for all comint-based modes?
[...]

> This will not be very helpful, but still. I am using Carbon Emacs on
> Mac which is (currently) based on Emacs 22.0.97.1. I have been using
> it for a while, so I cannot comment on suddenly missing
> fontification, but I am certainly getting any character vector (ie.
> between double quotes) fontified when editing a .R file. Ditto for
> comments (which in my setup is coloured the same color as strings).

I think Martin was refering to the *R* buffer, not the buffer you are
in when editing an *.R file.

FWIW: I can confirm the missing fontification in the *R*
buffer. Everything is fine the *.R buffer.

Opposed to others have not seen any drastic slowdown in evaluation
using `C-c C-c'.

This is using either the current stable ESS version or the SVN
checkout.

OTOH I'm using:

GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20) of
2007-03-18 on golem

Just my $0.02,

Patrick
--
Linus: I'll throw the ball, see?
       Then you go bounding after it and bring it back!