[ESS] Emacs 22.1 is out!

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Jun 8 17:49:20 CEST 2007

Le 07-06-08 à 11:34, Martin Maechler a écrit :

>     VG> Hi all,
>     VG> For those interested to effortless upgrade to 22.1 on
>>> Windows, I
>     VG> updated my modified Emacs distribution; see
>>>
>     VG> http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/
>>>
>     VG> As strange as it may seem, I am not a Windows user
>>> myself (I build
>     VG> this distribution for my students), so I would
>>> appreciate you let me
>     VG> know if you run into any problem or difficulty.
>>>
>>> Thank you, Vincent.
>>>
>>> As you know, I'm not a windows users either.
>>>
>>> However, as it so happens someone just reported a problem
>>> with one of my R packages --- on Windows only --.
>>>
>>> So I tried your installation, on our "Windows Terminal Server'
>>> After installation, etc
>>> when I do
>>>
>>> M-x R
>>>
>>> I get the error
>>>
>>> "apply: Spawning child process: invalid argument:"
>>>
>     BernPf> Hello Martin,
>
>     BernPf> I once obtained a similar error message, which was
> caused by the fact, that I have left the tar.gz file of ESS in my
> site-lisp folder. Once removed, everything ran smooth.

This is a FAQ I should find to time to write somewhere.

Normally, this "Spawning child process: invalid argument:" error
occurs when the path to Rterm.exe in the configuration file is
incorrect. My installer is not smart enough to look for this path at
installation, so the path is hard coded in the .../site-lisp/site-
start.el. This needs to be changed with each R release (since we
cannot assume, as on Linux, that rterm.exe will be in the system's
path), so that's why a placed an icon in the Gnu Emacs folder to have
direct access to the "site configuration file".

I checked and M-x R works out of the box if rterm.exe is installed in
the default location C:\Program Files\R\R-2.5.0\bin.

Please report if this does not solve your problem.

Cheers,   Vincent