[ESS] Editing Rd files in Aquamacs Emacs (MacOS X)

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Mon Jun 4 17:56:25 CEST 2007

On 4 Jun 2007, at 18:47, Vincent Goulet wrote:

>> I had a closer look at the issue with these instructions. Indeed,
>> 'M-x Rd-mode RET' works if I install ESS from the source. However,
>> this fails with pristine Aquamacs Emacs saying [No match], although
>> this is said to come with ESS. The difference may be indeed that
>> essddr.elc is not included in Aquamacs.
>
> That's strange. I do have the file essddr.elc in Aquamacs 0.9.9d, and
> I'm pretty sure I didn't modify the ess-mode folder in any way.

Assuming this is the place to look at:

/Applications/Aquamacs\
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/ess-mode/lisp/

It was not there.

>> Better keep now that configuration that has
>>
>> (load "~/Library/ess-5.3.4/lisp/ess-site")
>>
>> in ~/.emacs file (which also seems to work: I didn't come to think
>> that Mac would have a more exotic location).
>
> This location is deprecated. See
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PreferencesInAquamacs

Well, just didn't know that. Normal unixes don't have that kind of
places, and I didn't come to think that Emacs in Mac would be different
from all the other Emacses (refuse to use other kind of plurals) in the
world. I'll try to learn.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen