[ESS] Emacs on Gentoo can't find ESS when starting in a Konsole (KDE xterm)

Anthony Staines anthony.staines at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 01:33:37 CET 2007

Hi,
I have used ESS and Emacs to work with R for some time. I recently updated to R
2.4.1, and ESS has stopped working. When I start emacs, by typing emacs & in a
Konsole window, emacs starts, but ESS is not loaded.
Following the kind advice of Stephen Eglen to another enquirer
(See
http://search.gmane.org/?query=M-x%20%20%5bno%20match%5d&group=gmane.emacs.ess.general)
-->Has ess been loaded - it seems not?  To see if it has, do "C-h v
-->features" and see if ess-site is in the list.
-->
-->If not, try
-->"M-x locate-library ess-site" to see if Emacs can find ess-site.  If
-->it can find the lib, but it hasn't been loaded, do
-->"M-x load-library ess-site"
-->
-->and try M-x R again.

I established that ESS was not loading, that emacs could indeed find the ESS
library, and that when it was manually loaded, 'M-x R' worked fine. However,
when I restart emacs I still have to load ESS by hand.

The /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp directory has three files, as below, and the ess
subdirectory.

The relevant configuration files are below -

site-lisp # cat 50ess-gentoo.el
;;; Emacs Speak Statistics site-lisp configuration
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess")
(require 'ess-site)

site-lisp # cat site-gentoo.el
;;; DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE -- IT IS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY BY PORTAGE

;;; Emacs Speak Statistics site-lisp configuration

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ess")
(require 'ess-site)

site-lisp # cat site_start.el
(load "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-gentoo")

Any thoughts on how to get ESS automatically loaded on starting emacs?

Ta,
Anthony Staines