[ESS] ESS and cygwin xemacs

Joel J. Adamson jadamson at PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Jan 22 16:15:26 CET 2007

Stephen G. Eick writes:
 > Does ESS work with cygwin's version of xemacs?  I have a stock distribution
 > and can't seem to get it to work.  Starting ess puts cygwin's xemacs into an
 > infinite loop.
 > Stephen G. Eick
{snip: Stephen's credentials}

FYI, ESS has different installation procedures for FSF Emacs and
XEmacs.  In particular, ESS 5.3.3 is not available as an XEmacs
package and you have to install it "manually" (i.e., unzip it in the
right place -- usually site-packages).

They also load differently.  Here's the line from my init.el:

(load
"/usr/local/lib/xemacs/site-packages/ess-5.3.3/lisp/ess-site.el")

Be sure to check the README for the different installation
procedures.  If the Cygwin version is older, then the instructions may
be further different.

Joel (XEmacs user)
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IN THIS ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED MATERIAL.  ANY REVIEW, RETRANSMISSION, DISSEMINATION OR OTHER USE OF OR TAKING OF ANY ACTION IN RELIANCE UPON, THIS INFORMATION BY PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED.  IF YOU RECEIVED THIS INFORMATION IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER AND THE PRIVACY OFFICER, AND PROPERLY DISPOSE OF THIS INFORMATION.