[ESS] [ESS-bugs] Small mess in *R* buffer after M-x R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Feb 7 15:40:51 CET 2007

{ Forwarded to ESS-help on purpose -- MM }

    RoSp> Steve Gutreuter wrote:
    >> I am running Gnu Emacs 21.3.1 and ESS 5.3.3 under Red Hat Enterprise
    >> Linux 4.  Whenever I start an inferior R process (M-x R), I end up with
    >> a small mess in the *R* buffer, as follows:
    >>

    >>> if (!exists("baseenv", mode="function")) baseenv <- function() NULL
    >>>
    >> options(STERM=iESS', editor='emacsclient')
    >>

    >> The problem seems to be otherwise harmless; after I hit return the
    >> inferior R process subsequently behaves normally.
    >>
    >> Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.  ESS is an
    >> excellent package and I find that I am quickly becoming addicted to it.
    >> Your generosity in sharing ESS with the world is fantastic.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >> Steve Gutreuter

    RoSp> Hi Steve:

    RoSp> Boy are you in luck (other than the bitter cold that we are having; here
    RoSp> in Milwaukee we haven't reached 0 degrees F yet today).  I think this
    RoSp> was recently fixed in SVN; check out the discussion in the following thread:

    RoSp> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2007-January/003840.html

Yes, indeed this should be fixed in the not-yet-released (and
not to be released within another month) ESS 5.3.4.

You can try it from https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/lisp/
If you have 'svn' (nowadays widely available), it's as simple as

svn export https://svn.r-project.org/ESS/trunk/lisp ess-pre5.3.4-lisp

and then make sure you work with the new *.el files (or their
*.elc which you can get by 'make') and not the *.elc (or *.el)
that come with ESS 5.3.3 or earliert.

Martin