[ESS] Using R and ess-directory

Alexander Stoddard astoddar at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Feb 5 20:45:00 CET 2007

Greetings,

I am using R 2.3.1 with ESS 5.3.3 in GNU emacs 21.2 running under Mac
OS 10.4.

I am hoping to use a customization as described in section 7.8 of the
manual, "Names and locations of dump files", to set the ess-source-
directory like so:

(setq ess-source-directory
            (lambda ()
               (concat ess-directory "Src/")))

Reading section 3.5 "Changing the startup actions" makes me expect
the default behavior (with ess-ask-for-ess-directory set to "t") to
set the value of ess-directory. However it seems that ess-directory
is still nil after starting R with "M-R". (I note that a variable
called "default-directory" is set to directory where I start R).

Do I need to set ess-directory manually or is something wrong?

Many thanks,
Alex Stoddard