[ESS] Emacs finding "R" on Windows {was "Release of ESS 5.3.5"}

Phillip Lord phillip.lord at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 17:16:23 CEST 2007

  RMH> I don't understand the need for this code.  ESS finds R as long as it
  RMH> is in the default installation location.  The user does not normally
  RMH> need to change the PATH.

The documentation says it does.

     To run statistical processes under ESS, Windows users will need to
     make sure that the directories for the software they will be using
     is in the PATH environment variable.

     [...]

     An alternative, for R users, is that rather than adjusting the PATH
     variable, you can add the following to your emacs initialization
     file (and restart emacs):
          (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.2.1/bin/Rterm.exe")

I'm not sure I tried without it.

Phil