[ESS] problems installing ESS/Xemacs in Windows Vista

Brian D. Peyser, Ph.D. usamriid at bpeyser.fastmail.net
Mon Aug 20 01:18:09 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm having the same problem. I also saw this mentioned in comp.emacs.xemacs
relating to ispell rather than R/ESS. Below I included the message I posted
about the problem, plus the previous posts. This problem seems to be an
XEmacs problem and not an ESS problem. I also had trouble with GNU-Emacs, so
switching to that wasn't an easy solution.

-Brian Peyser

Brian D. Peyser, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow, ORISE
USAMRIID, Fort Detrick
Frederick, MD 21702

> Hi Ana,
>
> Ana Conesa wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I am trying to get ESS/Xemacs running in Windows Vista. I installed
>> Xemacs, add the init.el file to .Xemacs directory nd modified the
>> variable path to include
>> C:/Program Files/R/R-2.5.1/bin/
>> Still when launching Xemacs I get the error that Rterm could not be
>> found. Even if I uncomment the line setq inferior-R-program name at
>> the init.el file, Xmacs will still complain that Rterm cannot be
>> found. But the Rterm.exe file is at the indicated location and works
>> perfectly.
>>
>> Did any have this problem and know the solution?
>
> Just a guess, but it seemed to me that the more recent versions of
> Xemacs had trouble with paths that contained spaces. Does changing setq
> inferior-R-program to something like C:\\progra~1\\R\\R-2.5.1\\bin (or
> possibly C:/progra~1/R/R-2.5.1/bin/) help?
>
> Best,
>
> Jim
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Ana
>>

>From comp.emacs.xemacs:
Hi,

I've had the same problem, in my case it is ESS/R that fail. Also, ftp
telnet etc all fail. Seems like the same problem with Vista. However, before
the program is started, I am asked for options:

For example, trying to start R (M-x R):
ESS [S(R): Rterm] starting data directory? c:\Windows\system32

Then I get:
Searching for program: No such file or directory, Rterm

Seems like exactly the same problem. I am running XEmacs v21.4.20 with ESS
v5.2.11 and R v2.5.1, though I don't think this has anything to do with ESS
or R since ftp/telnet/etc also fail. I thought I might add the following--I
tried disabling User Account Control (UAC), I tried running XEmacs as
administrator and in WinXPSP2 compatibility mode.

If I type Rterm at the command prompt, it works fine.

I hope someone can find a fix for this!

-Brian Peyser

--
Brian D. Peyser, Ph.D.