[ESS] help does not work with updated R

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Sat Apr 7 02:29:02 CEST 2007

Le 07-04-06 à 15:12, Stephen Bond a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> neither C-c C-v nor ?funcname works after updating R.
> please, help.
>
> The Messages buffer shows:
>
> and a new buffer opens with the correct name but nothing in it.
>
> I apologize if the question has been asked but the archives are not
> searchable yet.

On Windows? From a version of R probably prior 2.4.0? It seems that
somewhere between 2.3.1 and 2.4.1 R on Windows started using the
Windows help browser by default. To view the help pages in Emacs,
issue a

 > options(chmhelp = FALSE)

See ?Startup to have this command executed everytime R starts.

Now, can this be considered an ESS bug?

HTH    Vincent

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor