[ESS] slowness problem

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 22:12:03 CEST 2006

On 9/5/06, Laurent ESS <laurentESS at free.fr> wrote:

> yes, it is very very very slow also when I use RGUI. The version of R is
> 2.3.1

I'm guessing that you aren't cleaning up objects between sessions.
Sounds like you are doing a large data computation, and the "garbage"
(memory usage) is just accumulating.

Probably, you want to script out (i.e. the windows equivalent of the
Sweave.sh script that Fritz has on the Sweave WWW site,  google on
Sweave and Leisch to find it), rather than running "in-memory".

Or clean up objects.   Or call gc() more often (though I'm not sure
the latter will help much -- it might, though).

It's not easy second guessing remotely.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).