[ESS] (no subject)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 4 10:40:44 CEST 2006

    >> using ess version 5.3.0, I tried to google and search the docs for
    >> how to refrence the last output when writting a new commnad and
    >> couldn't, is there a way to refrence say, the nth last output?

    StEgl> not that I know of.  Is there a way of doing this in R (aside from
    StEgl> when running it in ESS)?  There is .Last.value but that's all I know
    StEgl> about.

Yes. And I wouldn't see a good reason to do more in R.

Also, I'm not sure if Fred really want what he said he wanted (:-)

With ESS, in the *R* buffer, at the prompt,

      <Esc> 7 M-p

gives the 7-th last *input* line

and   <Esc> 7 C-c C-p

goes to the 7-th last prompt after which you have its output
block. You can now quickly mark that block by (e.g.)

       C-<space>  (= set-mark-command)
       C-c C-n	  (= comint-next-prompt)

Fred, do you really need more?

Instead of Google or similar things, I'd recommend to
click the menus in Emacs and explore their possibilities.

Martin