[ESS] Emac s No0b seekz dreem functi0n (C-c C-c)

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 14:56:32 CEST 2006

Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
> I think you are looking for
>    comint-scroll-show-maximum-output
> and related functions
>
> comint-scroll-show-maximum-output's value is t
>
> *Controls how to scroll due to interpreter output.
> This variable applies when point is at the end of the buffer
> (either because it was originally there, or because
> `comint-move-point-for-output' said to move it there)
> and output from the subprocess is inserted.
>
> Non-nil means scroll so that the window is full of text
> and point is on the last line.  A value of nil
> means don't do anything special--scroll normally.
>
> See also the variable `comint-move-point-for-output' and the function
> `comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom'.
> This variable is buffer-local in all Comint buffers.
>
> You can customize this variable.
>
> Defined in `comint'.
>

> I recommend that you do not redefine standard functions and keys.
> Much better would be to define new names and key mappings and base
> your new functions on the definition of the standard functions.
> Redefinitions will trip you up in a year or so and make it very
> hard for anyone else to help you.

Thanks very much for the info - I will check it out. It looks very
useful for me.

Regarding customisation - I am not too bothered to change the C-c C-c
behavior, as, I believe, it was implemented following a suggestion I
made to this list. Not that that really makes a difference, but it feels
like it does. Anyway - if customization makes me 10% faster 95% of the
time I will do it. The remaining 5% when I have to use somebody else's
environment or vice verse will be 50% slower, but overall we have a net
saving. So everybody customize!!!

Actually it would be ideal if each ess-eval-* function had a range of
'what to do with the output buffer (comint buffer?)' options, allowing
me to simply configure ess-eval-function-or-paragraph to behave the way
I want it to. Sadly that level of emacs is way beyond my skills, so I
won't even attempt it (yet).

Thanks again for the help,

Dan.