[ESS] Xemacs/ESS crash with R-help

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Nov 21 20:22:37 CET 2006

A search for this problem didn't result in any hits, but I still wonder
if it is a known problem. This is on Windows XP using R-2.4.0 or
R-2.5.0devel, Xemacs-21.4.19, and ESS-5.3.3 (I have all other Xemacs
packages installed from the sumo tarball as well).

With R-2.4.0 and greater (possibly earlier versions as well?) if one
tries to open a help page for a function that exists in more than one
package, if using the RGui, a window pops up querying the end user which
function help they want. I believe in earlier versions you just got the
'first one' and a listing of other packages that had the same function.

Anyway, when I do the same running R under Xemacs/ESS, it just
completely locks up and I have to use the Windows Task Manager to kill
the process.

This is different from what I saw with Xemacs-21.4.13 and an earlier
version of ESS, maybe 5.3.1. With the earlier versions, I would get a
window with the header 'Choose one', but nothing else in the window.
This would also require me to kill the process.

The easiest way I know for someone to reproduce this is as follows (at
an R prompt):

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("GOstats")
library(GOstats)
?hyperGTable

I would imagine any other duplicated function will do the same, but I
don't know one off the top of my head right now.

Best,

Jim

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician