[ESS] ess and long R jobs

Vaidotas Zemlys zemlys at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 15:46:17 CET 2006

Hi,

I do not know if it was discussed on the list, so I apologize if I'm
raising an old topic.

When I run CPU consuming jobs from ESS with R, I cannot do anything else
within emacs. Now I am working with MCMC, and each run takes about 5
minutes, so since my code is still in initial phase, I would like to
work on it, while current R task is running in a background. Is it at
all possible? I could easily solve this problem by running few separate
emacs windows, but it would be nice to have possibility to run few R
sessions from ESS, one with intensive computations, and another to work
on, while waiting for results.

I am using R 2.2.1 with ESS 5.3.1, Emacs 21.4.1 on Ubuntu Dapper Drake.

Vaidotas Zemlys