[ESS] migrating from windows to linux. I'm sweating!!!

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 19 11:12:31 CEST 2006

Hi, this is really a diversion in topic,
but I think the clarification is important:

    SamMC> I recently shifted to Ubuntu linux from Debian and
    SamMC> was pleasantly surprised at the integrated install
    SamMC> for emacs (or xemacs)/ ESS and R.

I've also switched from Debian to Ubuntu (mostly at home; at
work we're mostly using RedHat EL)
*but*  the ``Emacs + ESS + R'' easyness is really
thanks to the Debian maintainers (of each of these three
'packages') and not thanks to Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/).
As you know, Ubuntu is "just" a  ``Debian++'' in some way, and
wouldn't have been possible were it not for Debian --- and the
Ubuntu guys clearly say so at least if you look closely.

    SamMC> You can do the lot with apt-get install and the
    SamMC> integration is seamless (no more editing .el files
    SamMC> for example).

yes.  But apt-get (or 'aptitude' which I prefer and you get by
'apt-get install aptitude) is really *the* debian package
managing tool, and I think it's a pity you didn't realize that
	 apt-get install ess
	 apt-get install r-recommended
			 (or some version of that)
has been working fine in Debian for years.

    SamMC> So, if you are a newbie you can make it
    SamMC> easy on yourself by switching distros.

Yes, do switch to Ubuntu, particularly as a newbie!
-- it's just great to install Linux on a Laptop and have the
experience that things ``just work''...

Martin