[ESS] R-2.3.0 crash

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:11:41 CEST 2006

One crucial difference between running R from a shell within Emacs
and from R started by ESS may be that the shell is a log-in shell ("/
bin/bash -l"), which picks up environment variables set in
~/.bash_profile and friends, while a process started by Emacs (even
in a comint buffer) only inherits Emacs' environment (which is the OS
X environment, NOT bash_profile). (Disclaimer: in Aquamacs it is the
same environment, but in vanilla Carbon Emacs, it's not.)

Of course, R shouldn't crash if DISPLAY is empty or set to something
inappropriate.

Robin, maybe you could report the value of DISPLAY just after you've
started R from within ESS, e.g. via

Sys.getenv("DISPLAY")

-- D