[ESS] RSiteSearch functionality in Emacs

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 3 11:54:36 CEST 2006

    Sebastian> Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>
    Sebastian> wrote: [...]

    >> For me it doesn't quite work -- when using Emacs 21.3 :

    >> The last "multi-input" doesn't really provide the proper
    >> completion: I need to add the 4-th item ('Rhelp01' IIRC,
    >> in the last choice.

    Sebastian> I had made the default entries match the
    Sebastian> defaults, which don't include that item.

sure.
It just doesn't work correctly, both in Emacs 21.3 and 21.4.
May well be a bug in those Emacsen, but they are what I guess
99.9% of the emacs users currently use...

I've tested on a ubuntu dapper (debian based) machine, where at
least the browse-url setup was fine.

I can confirm that your function works fine in emacs-snapshot
i.e. emacs 22.0.50, but it does not in emacs 21.x.

For adding it to the ESS sources, I think we need a version that works
with emacs 21.x, and hence someone has to implement a workaround
(inside r-utils-sitesearch() !) for the problem there.

    >> Then, it seems to reveal a problem of (browse-url .) for
    >> my setup: That gives a popup window with title 'Close
    >> Firefox' and text

    >> which is nonsense in some way, since the usual
    >> RSiteSearch() can open a new firefox window alright.

    Sebastian> I cannot help there, sorry.  Does that occur with
    Sebastian> other external browsers?

not always.  I wouldn't have mentioned that second problem,
hadn't I already had the first problem -- and it's probably not
worth persuing, since it may be a very local problem of a not
quite proper configuration.

Martin