[ESS] Hyperlinks in help pages

Tom Short tshort at eprisolutions.com
Thu Mar 23 13:52:31 CET 2006

Tom Short <tshort <at> eprisolutions.com> writes:

> Kiermeier,	Andreas (PIRSA - SARDI <Kiermeier.Andreas <at> saugov.sa.gov.au>
> writes:
>

> > Martin,
> >
> > I haven't gone to the length that Frede has, but I can confirm that I only
> > have one version of ESS installed on
> > the system - nothing came with Emacs & the version I got I've installed
> > myself.
> >
> > In general what I have done is:
> >
> > 1) Installed (unzipped) ess into my emacs/site-lisp folder.
> > 2) renamed the folder "ess-5.2.10" to "ess" (which saves me having to change
> my init file for every new
> > version of ess.
> > 3) Byte complied all the .el files in the lisp subfolder.
> >
> > 4) The following is in my init file, most of these come either from the info
> file or through the list.  I have no
> > further modifications through Emacs customization.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andreas
>
> I get the same symptoms as Andreas and Frede. Typing "h" within a help
> buffer brings up a help prompt but doesn't provide a default. This is
> true even if I strip everything out of my .emacs but the following line:
>
> (load "c:/e/home/site-lisp/ess-5.2.12/lisp/ess-site")
>
> Here are my system details:
>
> Win XP
> GNU Emacs 21.2.1
> ESS 21.5.12

Under windows, the function that displays help gets redefined in ess-iw32.el. In
that version, there is no provision for displaying a default for the help file
(normally the word at point). I don't know lisp well enough to know how to fix
it. For my installation, it worked simply to redefine the
ess-display-help-on-object function back to its original (a copy was made in
ess-iw32.el). So, after adding the following to my .emacs, I now get a default
when launching help:)

(fset 'ess-display-help-on-object
      (symbol-function  'ess-display-help-on-object-original))

- Tom