[ESS] Startup error on XEmacs with ESS 2.5.11 (error "Stack overflow in regexp matcher")

john.gavin at ubs.com john.gavin at ubs.com
Thu Mar 2 18:18:29 CET 2006

Hi Rodney,

I tried to upgrade from XEmacs 21.4.6 to 21.4.19, as you sugget,
but that didnt change anything.

However, I also decided to start looking for the problem
all over again (with XEmacs 21.4.19 and ESS 5.2.12).
Eventually, I found the problem to be the line
'(setq default-directory "s:/qrms/stats/r")' in my init.el
which appears just after loading ess-site.el.

(require 'executable)
(load "C:/etc/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ess/lisp/ess-site.el")
(setq default-directory "s:/qrms/stats/r")

Commenting out or moving the line '(setq default-directory "s:/qrms/stats/r")'
to the end of my init.el file works.
A far as I can remember this line '(setq default-directory "s:/qrms/stats/r")'
has been in my init.el file for ages and in that position in the file.
So I am no wiser as to what caused this problem
but at least I can start XEmacs again with any errors.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

John.

John Gavin <john.gavin at ubs.com>,
Quantitative Risk Control,
UBS Investment Bank, 6th floor,
100 Liverpool St., London EC2M 2RH, UK.
Phone +44 (0) 207 567 4289
Fax   +44 (0) 207 568 5352

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intend...{{dropped}}