[ESS] void-variable font-lock-constant-face

Rodney Sparapani rsparapa at mcw.edu
Tue Jul 18 17:00:46 CEST 2006

Adrian Dragulescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I get the following error when I load the ess-5.3.1.  Here is my complete
> error message.
>
> Signaling: (void-variable font-lock-constant-face)
>   (cons "^NOTE: .*$" font-lock-constant-face)
> )

> I'm using xemacs-21.1.4 on Solaris.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks a lot.
> Adrian Dragulescu

Hi Adrian:

It's pretty simple.  Your xemacs version does not provide everything
that ESS needs like font-lock-constant-face.  See the following for a
list of versions that were known to work with ESS at one time or another
(they worked at the time that they were put on the list, and might still
work now):

http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Requirements

Unfortunately, that list does not yet contain 21.4.19 which is the
current stable version.  I've been using it with ESS on a daily basis
since it came out and that is the version that I recommend that you
use.

Thanks,

Rodney