[ESS] Key bindings for some features {was 'Adjust R option width'}

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 22 13:41:55 CET 2006

Dear Friedrich,

 > But imagine every emacs package would use your approach/attitude: Are
 > you seriously suggesting that each user should figure out his private
 > bindings for each package he uses in order to efficiently use all the
 > features? That's a nightmare come true.

No, I don't think we are suggesting that each user should provide
their own bindings.  We should provide bindings that are useful for
the ESS user, and try to fit in with their knowledge from other Emacs
editing modes.  Until this discussion, Martin's add on function had
only one binding.

In this particular case, I'd argue that ess-execute-screen-options
should be a low priority for getting a valuable C-c C-<something>
keybinding.  This is because I think short keybindings should be
reserved for defuns that are often run during an editing session.  I'm
guessing this defun is not used often by the average user (but am
happy to be proved wrong!).

However, I suggest that space in the menu bar is more available than
keybindings, and so perhaps it could be added to the menu bar?

Perhaps also people should share their favourite keybindings that are
not in ESS currently, to see if we should be adding others to ESS?  I
have one, but I think it should never get into ESS:

  (local-set-key (kbd "C-j") 'ess-eval-line-and-step)

Running over a set of lines of R code with repeated C-j is a breeze!

Stephen