[ESS] Key bindings for some features {was 'Adjust R option width'}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 20 17:30:16 CET 2006

(and thank you, Fritz for these !)

    FrL> Umm, the emacs manual says

    FrL> As a user, you can redefine any key; but it is usually best to
    FrL> stick to key sequences that consist of `C-c' followed by a letter.
    FrL> These keys are "reserved for users," so they won't conflict with
    FrL> any properly designed Emacs extension.

 (I have know the above for more than 10 years)

    FrL> so ESS should use a different binding (same for your "\C-cf").

I disagree. I had spent quite a bit of  thought on these many
years ago. My points on this have been

- ESS already uses so many other key bindings, it's not easy to
  find another  C-c C-<letter> one which also should be mnemonic
  to some extent {and I didn't want to use
  more complicated keys; or things like [F1] etc}.

- ESS does not define these bindings
  but provides a function that the user has to call {maybe in
  her/his init files} which activates the key bindings.

Martin