[ESS] xargs XEmacs bug squashed

Detlef Steuer detlef.steuer at hsu-hamburg.de
Wed Jan 11 15:07:43 CET 2006

John,

I found the following in the net and it worked:

Vin Shelton
	Dec 27 2005, 11:53 am   show options
Newsgroups: comp.emacs.xemacs
From: Vin Shelton <a... at xemacs.org> - Find messages by this author
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:53:45 -0500
Subject: Re: xemacs and ESS after update
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

"Klaus" <kj_n... at gmx.net> writes:
> I don't think, it is a bug in ecb. Probably it's related to some
> underlying piece of software, that is used both by ecb and ess. Anyway,
> here is the traceback. As you said I generated it by starting xemacs
> -vanilla and the calling M-x ecb activate:

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "No
> such file or directory" "xargs")
>   start-process-internal("*call-process*" nil "xargs")
>   apply(start-process-internal "*call-process*" nil "xargs" nil)
>   call-process-internal("xargs" nil nil nil)
>   apply(call-process-internal "xargs" nil nil nil nil)
>   call-process("xargs")
>   byte-code("..." [grep-null-device call-process "find" nil "-print0" 0
> "xargs" "-0" "-e" gnu] 7)
>   (defvar grep-find-use-xargs (byte-code
> "ÁÂɉÄ&Åk«ÁÆɉÇÈ&Åk«,ɇÁÆ!Åk‡"
> [grep-null-device call-process "find" nil "-print0" 0 "xargs" "-0" "-e"
> gnu] 7)
> ("d:\\Applications\\xemacs-packages\\lisp\\xemacs-base\\compile.elc" .
> 12251))
>   load-internal("compile" nil t nil binary)
>   load("compile" nil t nil)

>	Klaus -
>
>Thanks for sending this along.  It looks like if you
>
>(setq grep-find-use-xargs nil)
>
>before you load compile.el, this may address the problem.  Does that
>work for you?
>
>  - Vin

So I put
(setq grep-find-use-xargs nil)
before (reqiure 'ess-site) in my init.el and it worked.

Don't ask why, I'm from the <ESC>:wq part of the world and use (X)Emacs exclusively for ESS.

Detlef