[ESS] [R] ESS and Emacs

Mark Leeds Mleeds at kellogggroup.com
Mon Jan 2 03:37:42 CET 2006

Thanks but I think
I am pretty close so,
If I can be successful,
I can even write
Some "document
For dummies" as
A payback
For everyone's help to
Me.

I may look at that though if
I can't get it to work
Though. I'm trying to
Be optimistic.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Grant [mailto:mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:30 PM
To: A.J. Rossini; John Fox
Cc: R-Stat Help; Mark Leeds; ESS-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [R] [ESS] ESS and Emacs

Just a followup on this thread. There is a very quick
and easy to to get operational with R and ESS on
Windows XP. Over the holidays, I also I decided try to
'byte' the bullet and move to emacs on windows
(ESS,LISPBOX, BEE(Scheme)) and had similar ESS
travails. In searching R help, thanks to Jonathan's
search facility, I came upon a recent response from
Vincent Goulet (Université Laval) to a similar
question. This lead to Vincent's package for setting
up ESS with EMACS:

http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/#Emacs::Modified

There are, of course parallel pages, in French.

Installation was as advertised by Vincent--easy as
1-2-3. Note that here the editor is emacs and not
xemacs. Also, I don't know enough about emacs to
ascertain if Vincent has streamlined his package to
ESS with other language capabilities being trimmed.
Despite being emacs-challenged, however, I was able to
get Bigloo scheme's BEE operational within Vincent's
installation by means of a simple cut and paste.

Hopes this helps.

Michael Grant

Now to get lisp-stat running with it...:O)