[ESS] ID utils and R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 02:47:33 CEST 2006

On 8/23/06, Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> hi Ramon,
>
>  > Has anybody tried to use ID Utils
>  > (http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/) with R? I've googled, searched
>  > the ess and R help lists, and have found nothing.
>
> I've not seen this, but previously used things like etags in C.
> (cscope is also a great tool in this regard, but for C only).
> It sounds interesting.

Someone suggested, on the python list, to take a look again at cscope,
because it can be used as a general purpose text indexer. And indeed
it can, but I found idutils of more "comfortable" use, apparently
easier to extend to other languages, and I really like how idutils
displays the results under Emacs. And I got the impression that
although cscope is still very much used, it is no longer actively
developed.So for now, I'll keep looking at idutils.

> I'd be interested in pursuing this sometime...
>
> (And, as a reminder, there is a simple example regexp for S functions
> listed in the ESS manual, i.e.
>
>      etags --language=none
>      --regex='/\([^ \t]+\)[ \t]*<-[ \t]*function/\1/' *.R

Thanks! I didn't know that. (This is interesting because the other
night I found, on the exuberant ctags patch list, a patch to scan R
files by Stefan Archer;
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1016289&group_id=6556&atid=306556
 I haven't tried it yet, though).

Best,