[ESS] Permanently set working directoty

Stephen Eglen S.J.Eglen at damtp.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 22:07:42 CEST 2006

 > hi Gregor,
 > I think you're right - the manual sounds out of date, I'll take a look
 > at clearing this up; the default shouldn't be your home directory.

The manual now reads as follows, which I think is clearer
(ess-directory-function was not mentioned).

Stephen

3.5 Changing the startup actions
================================

If you do not wish ESS to prompt for a starting directory when starting
a new process, set the variable `ess-ask-for-ess-directory' to `nil'.
In this case, the starting directory will be set using one of the
following methods:

  1. If the variable `ess-directory-function' stores the name of a
     function, the value returned by this function is used.  The
     default for this variable is nil.

  2. Otherwise, if the variable `ess-directory' stores the name of a
     directory (ending in a slash), this value is used.  The default
     for this variable is nil.

  3. Otherwise, the working directory of the current buffer is used.

   If `ess-ask-for-ess-directory' has a non-`nil' value (as it does by
default) then the value determined by the above rules provides the
default when prompting for the starting directory.  Incidentally,
`ess-directory' is an ideal variable to set in `ess-pre-run-hook'.