[ESS] ID utils and R

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 01:59:44 CEST 2006

Dear All,

Has anybody tried to use ID Utils
(http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/) with R? I've googled, searched
the ess and R help lists, and have found nothing.

A silly, simple use of IDUtils with R code does work, using a language
map that says *.R are  text files. But I am wondering if someone has
done something more sophisticated. (For instance, I get matches to
commented out functions, which I'd rather not, lots of extra stuff is
indexed which probably shouldn't, etc).

Thanks,

R.

P.D.  ID utils is somewhat like [ce]tags, and has support under Emacs
(see section 5.2 of the ID utils manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/idutils/manual/idutils.html#Emacs-gid-interface
). One nice feature is that, when searching for matches, it shows the
results in a compilation buffer, so you can see where, in each file,
the identifier is used, and visit that if you want. I like this a lot
better than "tags-search".

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit